Run a Workshop
Hosting a Workshop
Facilitating a Workshop
The overarching goal of the Innoweave Cloud Computing Workshop is to provide Canada’s non-profit and charitable sector a resource that can build the technology capacity of organizations of different sizes. Given the rapidly changing nature of technology, the workshop is not intended to go into detail on specific cloud computing tools, but rather to strengthen the overall skills that lead to informed and effective technology planning.
Organizations in attendance will conduct all of the workshop’s exercises with their colleagues in attendance, in order to offer a constructive intro to technology planning.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Estimate the total cost of ownership of implementing an entirely cloud or hybrid technology approach, factoring in additional costs for hardware and installed software, Internet access, services and support, and IT professional development;
- Conduct a zero-based budgeting exercise to distinguish between essential and nonessential activities supported by their IT budget;
- Describe what cloud computing is;
- Analyze the benefits and risks associated with transitioning some or all of their organization’s technology infrastructure to the cloud;
- Assess trends in the technology sector and within their field that may impact their organization’s technology planning and strategy;
- Equip their organizations with tools and questions that are helpful when preparing for an uncertain future, related to technology and other areas;
- Help their organization make more informed decisions when introducing new technology;
- Apply a proven methodology for identifying challenge areas, surfacing ideas on how to address them, and evaluating technology solutions against selection criteria defined in advance;
- Identify potential pilot projects to introduce cloud computing tools in their office;
- Design a technology strategy that aligns with their organization’s mission, culture and available resources.
This workshop is designed to be presented in one full-day session. The workshop is divided into five blocks.
- Conducting a needs assessment and solutions comparison
- Introduction to Cloud based tools
- Budgeting for the cloud
- Technology planning in an uncertain world
- Creating a cloud-computing pilot project and strategy
The Innoweave Cloud Computing Module curriculum is designed to be delivered by skilled facilitators with an interest in technology and prior experience leading a group learning process. The facilitator does not need to be a tech expert or up-to-date on all of the latest technology.
The workshop manual contains virtually all of the information that a facilitator may want to cover, and that participants would expect to receive. Questions surfaced that exceed the facilitator’s technology expertise can be referred to the technology lead within a participant’s organization or to a nonprofit technology consultant. This workshop is designed with the flexibility to be delivered in either half-day, one-day, or two-day formats, depending on participant need. The short version provides all the basic information while the longer version allows more time for networking and discussion.
This resource library compiles the top reports, tools and research that Innoweave Cloud Computing Facilitators can use as they prepare for and deliver their workshops.
All the files link to a Box site, where you can preview, download and make comments on documents. To be given access to this folder, email email@example.com. Tips for using Box can be found at the bottom of this page.
As you prepare for this workshop, the following resources might be helpful:
- An annotated agenda which can be used to help plan your workshop.
- This link takes you to the full PowerPoint deck with all Cloud Computing content. This can be used as the base of your workshop.
- This link takes you to a folder containing the deck broken up into five sections for easier editing and blocking.
A set of notes for facilitators to use in preparation for delivering the workshop.
- A set of handouts to be distributed to workshop participants throughout the day.
- This link takes you to a folder with each of the handouts for editing.
- This link takes you to a single file with all handouts for printing.
Tips for using Box:
- After sending your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, you will be invited to join the "Innoweave Cloud Computing Workshop Materials" Box folder by e-mail. You must accept the invitation. If you don't already have a Box account, you will have to create one to access the files.
- Once you are logged on to Box, you can also navigate to files directly from the Innoweave site, by clicking on the individual document links.
- Inside Box, you can click on any folder or document to view its contents. Click "download" on the top right to save the file to your computer in its original file form (e.g. ppt, doc, xls).
- If you'd like, you can add comments to any of the documents. These are only visible to your fellow facilitators (i.e. they are not public).