Social Enterprise Implementation Coaching support
Application system improvements - the Social Enterprise stream
In 2019, Innoweave will be working to make its application process more flexible and responsive. Innoweave is also looking at new ways to help organizations select the best possible social innovation approach, prepare themselves for a coaching engagement, and develop a strong plan for a coach-ready project.
This fall, we’ll be using our Social Enterprise stream to pilot some changes to our processes to best support these objectives.
Over the last six years, we have had two annual intakes, but we’ve heard from groups we’ve supported and coaches that our due dates could fit more effectively with organizations’ working schedules. In 2019, we’ll be experimenting with some adjusted timing, and adding an additional intake.
Expression of Interest deadlines:
Midnight PT on
(or the first working day following)...
Midnight PT on
(or the first working day following)...
|December 15||February 1|
|April 15||June 1|
|August 15||October 1|
Before you apply
- Review our primer: We encourage you to read our Primer on requesting Innoweave Social Innovation Implementation Coaching support.
- Contact us: If you feel it would be helpful, we recommend you connect with one of our Program Officers at email@example.com to discuss your unique needs and solicit our advice before applying.
- Connect with a coach: We request that you connect with a coach(es) to discuss your project plan and coaching needs, and confirm their interest, fit, availability, and an estimated cost of your proposed engagement. Visit the Social Enterprise Coaches page to browse and reach out to potential coaches. You are also welcome to connect with qualified coaches not listed on our web site and share their details in your application.
How to apply
Innoweave uses a 2-stage application process. Below you will find an overview of the application process, including information on what to expect as you work through the platform.
The new application process for Social Enterprise will include the following steps:
- Register yourself and your organization in a new online portal.
Please allow for 2-3 business days for us to process your information. During holidays, this could take as long as 2 weeks. We recommend registering early to allow you enough time to proceed to the next step.
Phase 1: Expression of Interest
- Become eligible by submitting a short Expression of Interest detailing your eligibility, readiness, organization details, and basic project details.
- Next intake is due by midnight PT on December 17, 2018.
- Innoweave will review submissions in a timely manner and confirm whether or not you can proceed to complete a Request for Support.
Phase 2: Request for Support
- Groups that have their Expression of Interest approved will be invited to complete a Request for Support detailing your challenges, support needs, coach information, and learning plan details.
- Next intake is due by midnight PT on February 1, 2019.
Should it be helpful, please refer to this read-only PDF copy of the Expression of Interest and Request for Support forms for reference in developing your submission before entering it into our online portal.
For our pilot, we will not require that groups attend a Social Enterprise workshop prior to registering in the online portal and submitting an Expression of Interest. However, we hosted a Social Enterprise information session that we recommend all groups interested in this stream review. A recording can be found on our Social Enterprise information page, and we plan to offer a live session three times per year to coincide with our new intake periods.
Innoweave’s learning-based approach
All of these adaptations to our process and platform are part of a larger Innoweave effort to offer better resources, in a timely fashion, to organizations that seek support in embedding social innovation approaches in their work. We want to improve our offerings to better enable organizations to become clear on their intended outcomes, and to become capable of using social innovation approaches to achieve those outcomes.
This will be a learning and adaptation process for Innoweave, and we’re excited to undertake that work with the many organizations and coaches we support. As part of this project, we’re also taking a look at the reporting we require from those who receive Innoweave support. We don’t want onerous or redundant reporting to be a requirement of receiving Innoweave support. Ideally, we want evaluation efforts to primarily benefit grantees, their beneficiaries, and the communities they serve.
As we pilot new processes in our Social Enterprise stream, we’ll be looking at how we can build this ethos into our operations. For example, our new Social Enterprise Request for Support form will ask organizations how they plan to build a learnings-based approach into their impact assessment, and to offer some thoughts on how Innoweave can help them achieve that goal. We’ll also be asking groups to consider how their projects may change and adapt over the course of their coaching, and how Innoweave may be able to offer some flexibility to accommodate those shifts. To learn more about Innoweave’s learning-based, impact-oriented approach, please read our blog Shifting from Prove to Improve.
As we work on these new ideas, we encourage feedback to help us learn, adapt, and plan for the next round of improvements for Innoweave. If you have any questions about any of these changes or would like to speak to an Innoweave staff member, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.